Location: CD 3 is primarily located in Ewington and Alba Townships, but also includes sections of West Heron Lake and Rost Townships. The CD 3 mainline drains from Section 34 of Alba Township and combined with Jackson County JD 84 in Section 13 of Alba Township and then outlets north into Okabena Creek.
Size: The watershed provides drainage to approximately 9,768 acres.
Project: The CD 3 improvement projectsconsists of cleaning/improving three open ditches, constructing 21 new tile branches, and 19 new tile sub branches.
Estimated cost: $9 million, currently financed with short-term bonding through Bremer Bank
Status: The public bids for construction were received in September of 2019. The construction contracts were awarded. The project was broken into four bid packages. Construction began in the fall of 2019. Approximately 9% of Bid Package #1 and approximately 46% of Bid Package #2 were completed during the fall and winter of 2019. Bid Packages #3 and #4 did not have any construction activity in 2019.
The HLWD was awarded $250,000 per four-year grant period from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to protect South Heron Lake (SHL) from further degradation using planning tools to determine cost-effective, multi-benefit solutions to reduce the amount of nutrients and sediment entering SHL and to reduce the impacts of flooding. This grant is phased in four four-year periods for a maximum amount of $1 million over 16 years.
The HLWD was also awarded a Clean Water Fund (CWF) grant for $43,000 to install 15 alternative side inlets (ASIs) on CD 3, four ASIs on JD 14, and a 4.2 acre wetland restoration on JD 3.
CD 3 Construction Update.
• Bid Package #1 is nine percent complete. Larson Contracting, Inc. will begin pond work in early March. Almost four miles of ditch cleaning has been complete. They will come back and do tile repairs. The completion date for this bid package is September 30, 2020.
• Bid Package #2 is 43 percent complete. Dirt Merchant, Inc. (DMI) is working now. Discussion was held regarding the granular that is being hauled. ISG has televised tile that has been in the ground for 30 days. At this point, there have not been major areas that need to be addressed. There are some spots that need to be reevaluated.
• ISG is obtaining submittals from the contractor for Bid Package #3. The contractor will begin work in the spring. The completion date for this bid package is December 31, 2020.
• The subcontractor will start boring on Bid Package #4 in the near future. The completion date for this bid package is December 31, 2020.
• The bridges on the gravel roads in Bid Package #5 are complete. The paved roads will be done after the frost is out. The completion date for this bid package is September 30, 2020.
On April 3, Jacob Rischmiller, ISG contacted Jan Voit regarding a potential change order for CD 3. John Nauerth III, on behalf of Rost Township, has asked for directional drilling rather than open cutting the township road on Branch 9C. ISG provided a copy of an agreement that was sent to Rost Township.
On April 28, Chuck Brandel and Jacob Rischmiller provided an update on CD 3. Chuck Brandel visited the site on April 27. Construction is going well. Dirt Merchant, Inc. has two crews installing pipe. Larson Contracting has been concentrating on ditch cleaning. They have not done a lot of work on the pond. Chuck contacted Larson Contracting requesting a revised construction schedule.
Chuck Brandel provided the following comments on May 13. Last month was one of the most productive months I have witnessed on a drainage project. As you can see by the invoices there was close to a $1,000,000 of work completed and Dirt Merchant, Inc. (DMI) got many things done ahead of planting. This is how a project should go when we have good weather and contractors that are well organized. Let the board know that we think DMI did a great job taking advantage of a dry spring.
Construction update from Chris Adams. DMI hasn’t started on Bid Package 4 other than the borings their subcontractor completed last month. They may pull off site for a few months after completing Bid Package 2 to take care of some other obligations and return in the fall. Loo Con mobilized to the site the week of June 1. They plan to start on Branch 6 and laterals as well as Branch 9.
At the HLWD meeting on June 17, Chuck Brandel informed the board that LooCon, Inc. has started construction on Jackson CD 3. Initial work has been televised. Inspectors report that the grade is about as smooth as any of them have ever seen. Work is going well.
On July 30, LooCon, Inc. finished installing tile on Branch 9 and their respective laterals in the southeast portion of the CD 3 watershed. They mobilized to Branch 5 and Branch 6 on July 31 and will finish with Branch 7 tile.
On August 27, Jan Voit met with Kevin Nordquist and Kelly Rasche, Drainage Coordinator. The purpose of the meeting was to review parcel splits and update the assessment worksheet with the new parcel information.
On August 31, Jan Voit continued the work of updating the assessment worksheet. She spoke with Steve Droll regarding assessments. Information from Mr. Droll was forwarded to Jackson County.
The map below shows construction progress through August 2020.